ErminePrimary Academy

Success and Happiness for Every Child

Search Search
Translate Translate

SEN Frequently Asked Questions

What should I do if I think my child has special needs?

First discuss your concerns with your child’s class teacher.  They may then direct you to the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) which is Mrs Holt.


How will the school respond to my concerns?

Firstly your child’s teacher will discuss those concerns with you and how they are being addressed. Together it might be decided that the best way to support your child is to put them on the SEN register. This is a list of children in school that need some extra support. We keep a list to ensure that all staff know the needs of your child and how to support them. If you still have concerns after speaking to your child’s class teacher then you can make an appointment to speak to Mrs Holt the SENCO.


How will the school decide if my child needs extra support?

The progress of all children is monitored regularly. If it is noticed that a child is having difficulty in some way then support will be put in place for that difficulty. Not all support means that a child has special educational needs, as we all need help sometimes. If your child needs this help for an extended period of time or has additional support and are still struggling we will have a discussion as to the reasons for these difficulties.  They then may be placed on the SEN register. While we do have a significant amount of intervention groups and adult support it is not possible to target all children for everything in addition to their usual high quality teaching. Each term the teaching staff, in liaison with the senior leadership team (SLT) will assign priorities and which interventions and support we will run that term.


What will the school do to support my child?

Children who are finding something challenging will be supported in a range of ways. These will include a range of in class strategies as well as some targeted intervention groups if necessary. For a full list of interventions we run in school please see our intervention pages. Please understand that this is a list of the interventions we are able to deliver across the whole school and not a list of provision that you can choose from. Children are selected for targeted intervention based on need and set criteria due to this not all interventions will be running at any one given time.


Who will support my child in school?

The main support for all children is their class teacher. There may also be additional adults that work in the classroom supporting groups of children. In some year groups children work in sets with other members of staff on a daily basis. The provision for children with SEND in school is coordinated by Mrs Holt. This does not mean that she will work directly with every child on the SEN register but ensures that they are getting appropriate provision both from within school and, where appropriate, from outside agencies.


What training and experience do staff for the additional support my child needs?

As a school we believe in outstanding learning for all and this means that all of our staff are committed to continually learning and developing as well. We have ongoing professional development for all staff to increase their knowledge and awareness of different additional needs. For a list of training staff have undertaken please see the relevant section under Lincolnshire’s Local Offer (A link is provided at the bottom of the page) or some to school to discuss this. If however, your child has additional needs that our staff do not have experience of we would endeavour to provide training for the relevant members of staff, as appropriate.


Who else might be involved in supporting my child?

At times we ask for additional support from outside agencies to support us in ensuring the best education for your child. These include the speech and language therapist (SALT) to support all areas of language need, the educational psychologist (EP) to primarily support learning needs, physiotherapy (PT) to support gross motor skills, occupational therapy (OT) to support fine motor skills, the Working Together Team (WTT) to support children with social communication differences and Autistic spectrum disorders, Sensory Education and Support Team (SEST) to support children with hearing or sight issues and Specialist Nurse Trainers for Children with Disabilities to support with medical issues.   We would always seek your permission first before accessing personal advice about your child and sharing your child’s details with any outside agency.


What support will be there for my child’s emotional and social well-being?

In school we have 2 members of staff that work primarily with supporting the emotional and social needs of children. They run a range of 1:1 sessions as well as group sessions in our nurture room. These include a range of needs from play skills to our young carers group. We have a member of staff trained in Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) which can support anxiety. In the first instance, if you have concerns please discuss them with your child’s class teacher but all of these groups are overseen by our behaviour lead, and so if you need any further information on supporting these needs please make an appointment to see her via the school office.


Where can I find all of the procedures and information relating to Special Educational Needs?

Please refer to the SEN Policy for procedures relating to SEN. 


How is the provision for children with special educational needs monitored in school?

Each term class teachers complete provision maps showing all of the provision being made in school and evaluate its impact.  This is used by staff within school to assess how effective each provision is being and to amend this where it is being ineffective.  This also forms part of Pupil Progress Meetings where staff discuss with senior leaders the progress of children and the effectiveness of provision.  For individual children this will be discussed with parents as part of the assess, plan, do, review cycle at their SEN review. 


What if my child needs additional resources to support them?

School provide a range of resources to support children within the classroom such as writing aids.  These vary based on the individual needs of the children.  For more specialised equipment then advice is sought from outside agencies such as occupational therapy.  Additional resources will be provided where it is felt they are needed to make a reasonable adjustment to the curriculum or provision for children with a disability.


How will my child be involved in the process and be able to contribute their views?

Before each review an adult that works with your child will discuss their progress with them and how they feel about the work they have been doing as well as gaining their thoughts on their future targets.  The older children will be asked if they wish to attend the SEN Support review as well.


How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

As part of quality first teaching lessons are differentiated to the needs of the different children. This means that the objectives or aim of the lesson is changed for the different levels that the children are working at. So children who are finding something easy will get stretched and those finding something difficult will be supported either through additional adult support or through the task they are asked to do. For children with physical needs or with disabilities thought will be given on how to support your child in their learning before activities and the curriculum will be adapted accordingly.


What opportunities will there be for me to discuss my child’s attainment and achievement? How will I know how well my child is progressing?

We hold 3 parents’ evenings a year in which you will be invited to attend to discuss your child’s progress. As well as a final report at the end of each academic year outlining the progress and attainment of your child we also send home a mid-year report giving you information half way through the year as well. If at any point in the year you have concerns or want to find out some information you can request a meeting with your child’s class teacher. This is best organised by asking them at the end of the day for an appointment, if you collect your child, or sending a letter or phoning if you do not.


How does the school know how well my child is doing?

The progress and attainment of all of our children is closely monitored and evaluated. 3 times a year we have a formal assessment week in which all the levels of all of the children are collated and the progress of each child discussed with SMT and the governors. From this, children not progressing as we would like will be discussed and provision put in place. However, throughout the year children’s attainment and progress is monitored and teachers put in place support and intervention to ensure progress for all children.


How will my child be included in activities out the classroom including school trips?

For each class trip a thorough risk assessment of the activities is carried out. The individual needs of the children going will also be considered. If alternative or different arrangements need to be made to ensure your child can participate fully and safely these will be made prior to the trip. No child will be excluded from learning due to a special educational need or disability and this includes educational activities out of school.


How accessible is the school environment?

We have a range of facilities to support people with disabilities. The school is on two levels but there is a lift to access the first floor. We have ramps to access all entrances and a hygiene suite with shower facility if needed. The school office has a loop system so if visiting and needing to use this please indicate this to a member of the reception staff.  While the school as a whole is not fitted with a loop system we can facilitate children who use radio aids to support hearing issues.


How accessible is the curriculum?

Our curriculum is well planned in advance and we will endeavour to ensure that all children can take part in as much as they are able to do. We will ensure that no child is excluded from learning due to a special educational need or disability.


My child has a disability or special education needs, how will the school prepare and support my child to join the school?

Through discussion with you prior to your child starting school we can discuss what the best way to support your child will be and how we can best prepare your child for the transition to our school.  The support packages we offer will vary depending on the ages of your child as well as the point in the year in which they join us.  If all feel is appropriate we may contact outside agencies for additional support as well such as Occupational Therapy Services to make recommendations.


How do you ensure that children with a disability are not treated less favourably that their peers?

We are very proud of the diversity within our school and we celebrate this regularly, highlighting the positives this brings to all children through events such as National Autism Awareness Week.  Within the classroom we follow dyslexic friendly and autistic friendly strategies.  Reasonable adjustments are made for children pre-emptively to ensure that they access the full curriculum as fully as their peers.  We seek outside agency advice for individual children as well as when preparing our accessibility plan to try and improve the access to our whole school both for our pupils but also for everyone who may visit it.


How will the school prepare and support my child on transfer to other schools and secondary education?

We Liaise closely with our secondary partners and have transition meetings in the summer term when your child is in year 6. If your child has an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) then secondary transition will be discussed in year 5 and your choice of school invited. Your child will visit the secondary school and in some cases additional visits will be planned to support smooth transition but these will be dependent on the availability of the secondary school.


How can I be involved in supporting my child?

Discussing what your child has read, doing their spellings with them and supporting them in leaning their times tables as well as attending SEN support reviews will all help your child make the best progress.  Your child’s class teacher will be able to give you specific advice on how to support your child at home but some more general advice can be found under the information for parents section of the website.


How can I access support for myself and my family?

The first person you should speak to in school regarding any concerns you have or for further information should be your child’s class teacher who can point you to the correct person if they are unable to support you directly. You are able to arrange a meeting via the school office with the school SENCO, Mrs Holt, if you feel that you still need further help or guidance.


How can I find out more about the facilities the school has to support people with disabilities?

More information about the facilities we offer can be found on our school page of the local offerWe are also always striving to improve these and so please refer to our accessibility plan as well.  If you feel your child or yourself need a specific facility then please contact the school to speak to Mrs Holt who will be happy to discuss this with you.


Who can I contact for further information?

The Local County Council (Local Offer) have a page offering support and guidance which can be found below.

For younger children Sure Start is able to offer support and guidance for families. Our local Sure Start Centre is Lincoln North, Welbourn Gardens, 01522 544801.